you are on the Keto diet and wondering if you can still enjoy a meal at McDonald’s. We are here to help! You can definitely find some Keto-friendly options on the menu.
As a Keto enthusiast, I’ve had my fair share of dining at McDonald’s, and I’ve found some delicious options that won’t kick me out of ketosis. Let me walk you through it! First things first, when you’re on Keto, you want to avoid anything with carbs, especially refined carbs like bread, rice, and pasta. So, say goodbye to the burger buns and the fries. But don’t worry, there are still plenty of options available to Keto at McDonald’s. See McDonald’s entire menu below, complete with directions of how to order and how many carbs it contains.
- Directs you how to customize your keto fast food order (with accurate net carb information)
- Helps prevent keto boredom – discover new low carb menu and restaurant options
- Provides hard-to-find links to nutrition information for your favorite fast food restaurants
- Shares money-saving tips to help stretch your low carb dollar
I have categorized the menu items into three categories based on their compatibility with the ketogenic diet.
“Keto-friendly” at McDonald’s
- Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit (no biscuit): 2g carbs
- Sausage Biscuit (no biscuit): 1g carbs
- Sausage McMuffin with Egg (no muffin): 1g carbs
- Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese (no bun): 5g carbs
- Quarter Pounder with Cheese (no bun): 4g carbs
- Double Cheeseburger (no bun): 2g carbs
- Cheeseburger (no bun): 1g carbs
- Hamburger (no bun): 1g carbs
- McDouble (no bun): 2g carbs
- Filet-O-Fish (no bun): 8g carbs
- Bacon Ranch Grilled Chicken Salad (no breaded chicken): 9g carbs
- Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad (no tortilla strips): 11g carbs
- Side Salad (no croutons): 2g carbs
- Unsweetened Iced Tea: 0g carbs
- Coffee (black): 0g carbs
- Iced Coffee (black): 1g carbs
Suggestions to make items more keto-friendly:
- Ask for no bun or biscuit on sandwich items.
- Ask for no breaded chicken on salads.
- Avoid adding high-carb toppings like ketchup, honey mustard, or sweet and sour sauce.
“Keto Okay” at McDonald’s
- Egg McMuffin (no muffin): 3g carbs
- Bacon, Egg & Cheese McGriddles (no McGriddle cakes): 5g carbs
- Sausage McGriddles (no McGriddle cakes): 6g carbs
- Sausage McMuffin (no muffin): 1g carbs
- Big Mac (no bun): 6g carbs
- McChicken (no bun): 4g carbs
- Artisan Grilled Chicken Sandwich (no bun): 4g carbs
- Chicken McNuggets (grilled or crispy, without sauce): 10g carbs for 4 pieces
- Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken (no croutons): 6g carbs
- Bacon Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken (no breaded chicken): 10g carbs
- Fries (small): 29g carbs
- Diet Coke: 0g carbs
- Unsweetened Iced Tea with Lemon: 0g carbs
Suggestions to make items more keto-friendly:
- Ask for no bread, bun, or McGriddle cakes on sandwich items.
- Avoid adding high-carb toppings like ketchup, mayonnaise, or sweet and sour sauce.
- Choose grilled chicken instead of breaded chicken on salads.
“Not Keto-Friendly” at McDonald’s
- Buttermilk Crispy Chicken Sandwich: 48g carbs
- Buttermilk Crispy Chicken Tenders (4 pieces): 17g carbs
- Chicken McNuggets (4 pieces with sauce): 12g carbs
- McGriddles (sausage, egg & cheese): 42g carbs
- Hotcakes (with syrup and margarine): 95g carbs
- Hash Browns: 15g carbs
- Oatmeal (with toppings): 32g carbs
- Caramel Frappé (large): 88g carbs
- Mocha Frappé (large): 93g carbs
- McCafé Frappés (other than sugar-free vanilla, large): 85-105g carbs
- Smoothies (small to large, depending on flavor): 44-74g carbs
- Milkshakes (small to large, depending on flavor): 54-119g carbs
- Soda (regular, medium to large, depending on flavor): 39-63g carbs
Unfortunately, many items in this category are high in carbs and not suitable for the ketogenic diet. It’s best to avoid these items altogether or find alternative options from the “Keto-friendly” or “Keto Okay” categories.
Keeping Keto With Fast Food
It’s important to keep in mind that everyone’s nutritional needs and dietary preferences are different, so what works for one person may not work for another. If you’re following a ketogenic diet, it’s always a good idea to read nutrition labels and ingredient lists carefully, and to ask for modifications or substitutions when ordering fast food to make it more compatible with your diet.
And if you’re looking to up your Keto game, check out some of these amazing helpers:
- Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting for Beginners: A Complete Guide to the Keto Fasting Lifestyle
- KETO-MOJO Blood Ketone and Glucose Testing Kit
- Quest Nutrition Tortilla Style Protein Chips
- V2 KETOSCAN Mini Breath Ketone Meter
- Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener
- Perfect Keto Collagen Powder
These helpers will help you stay on track and make your Keto journey even more enjoyable. Happy eating!